We've had an obsession with flowers for what seems like forever. In a bouquet, in a garden, on the side of the road.. we aren't picky - we love them all! In fact, we tend to prefer that free spirited, side of the road, just picked wild flower look in general. And although those types of looks can seem 'effortless' they are anything but! This past weekend, we attended a workshop on how to build the perfect mason jar arrangement and we can't wait to spill all the tips and tricks we learned!
When it comes to interior design - flowers add a level of playfulness, an addition layer to a color palette, and ultimately, they give the space life. Now, the flowers you surround yourself with certainly don't have to be custom designed and delivered to your home weekly as fresh replenishment - although, all of that sounds like a dream come true! Instead, flowers can be or should be, another opportunity to put more of your personality into a space that you spend your time in. Flowers really become the ultimate personalization element.
As a result, it only makes sense that you learn some tips on how to put together the perfect floral arrangement for your home!
Here's the skinny on what we learned:
1) Start with Greenery! - Despite not being the 'most' glamorous and often underrated part of any arrangement, greenery serves to anchor the floral composition. It also reduces the amount that the flowers will shift and move on their own and serves to 'protect' the stems of the flowers placed right up against the glass vase.
2) Get the right angle! - Now that you have your greenery in, add flowers one by one and angle them through the 'grid like area' you've made with your greenery. This will serve to stabilize the flowers in your vase and allow you to position them in their most scenic angle!
3) Focal flowers are key! - Someone has to be the star of the show - so you best pick wisely! This doesn't have to be your favorite flower.. although it can be. It should be one of the first one's you place within your arrangement (best to cut this one shorter - to prevent movement) and it becomes more interesting if you put it off to the side of your arrangement as opposed to dead center. This flower will help draw your eye into the arrangement!
4) Repetition does wonders! - Selecting a single flower and then repeating it throughout your arrangement by changing it's height and position makes everything more interesting!
5) Be daring with your color palette! - Don't be afraid to try out color palette's together that you aren't sure go together. The best way to do this is to hand select your flowers one by one and hold your flowers together in a bundle.. one beside the other in your hand will showcase which colors play off each other and how they compliment one another! You'll be surprised at what you come up with.
6) Make sure you include dancing flowers! - These are the type of flowers that give your arrangement movement. They tend to stick out or to be perfectly imperfect.. exactly what any good composition needs!
So make sure you take the time to play around with the building of your next floral arrangement. If we've learned anything, it's practice makes perfect! Finally, remember rules are meant to be broken.. so let these tips be simply that!!